Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Recipe: Fresh Summer Spaghettini

I literally just got done cooking and eating this for dinner tonight with my family.  I loved it, and it was well-received by my husband, 9-year-old son, and 19-month-old daughter.  This is not an easy feat.  Prep and cooking time totaled less than half an hour and I used the lovely basil from yesterday's CSA box.  "This is going directly into the summer dinner lineup," I announced at the table.  No one looked up, as they were all busy emptying their plates.  What kind of friend would I be if I didn't share this revelation with you all?  A bad friend, that's what kind..

Fresh Summer Spaghettini, from Family Feasts for $75 a Week

12 oz uncooked spaghetti or angel hair pasta (I used linguine.)
3 tablespoons olive oil (we had a scant 2 tablespoons left, so I used a combo of olive & vegetable oils)
4 green onions, coarsely chopped
2 cups cherry (or grape) tomatoes, halved (1 pint)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves (I cut mine into a chiffonade.)
salt & black pepper to taste
4 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used part-skim block cheese from the supermarket.  Fresh mozzarella would be even better.)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta in boiling salted water.  Drain, reserving cooking water; keep warm.  Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until hot.  Add green onions, tomatoes and garlic and cook until heated through (2-4 minutes).  Add basil and season with salt & pepper.  Add 1/2 cup reserved cooking water to veggies.  Add both cheeses, stir to combine, and serve over warm pasta.

Then pat yourself on the back because you just got dinner on the table in 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment